Friday, January 23, 2015

Sleepy Head

Lately I have had great difficulty getting myself to bed at a reasonable time so I can rest. I know that I am tired and I want to sleep but for one reason or another I find myself going to bed late night after night. Tonight is no exception. Although by the time I finish this and publish it, it will probably be morning.

Why do I do this to myself? More often than not I would say I have no idea but that's just blowing smoke. I know good and well I do it. I don't want to go to bed. It's not that I want to make myself tired on purpose, it's just that I want time to myself to do the things I want to do and it seems that late at night is a time I can do it.

Another thing is it seems the more I try to convince myself to get to bed, the more rebellious I become and the later I stay up. Needless to say this method isn't working for me. And this isn't the only situation in which one part of me is trying to accomplish something while the other part is being a full on brat about things.

And guess what, this is perfectly normal. As normal as it may be, it stinks and can really put a kink in the system of whatever it is you are trying to do.

The clock just changed to midnight, so it's official. I am up later than I wanted to be again. So as you can see, trying to accomplish some things we want by forcing ourselves to do things is not always the best plan of action. Giving ourselves a choice by asking the right questions may be the better plan. Not to mention a reward system.

So instead of planning to try and make myself go to bed I am going to try a new approach. I am going to start asking myself a question, "What do I want more, to stay up or to wake up with energy for my day?" Perhaps presenting it to myself as a choice where I can choose the desired outcome will provide the motivation to choose the change I have been avoiding and in turn reaping the fatigue and sheer exhaustion of that choice. I am also going to give myself a reward for going to bed at an earlier time.

No one wants to feel like a caged animal, especially human beings. And that's exactly how we feel when we feel we do not have a choice. Often our biological response is fight or flight. Having a choice is true freedom. It is in being free that we are willing to stay and see a thing through to the end.

Whatever you're struggling with that you haven't been able to move past or change, maybe it's time to find a new approach. Find a way to enlarge the parameters, expand the perspective or create a larger content to view the issue from. Maybe as you do this, you will find the solution starring you in the face. Good luck.

I'll keep you posted on my adventures in sleeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment