Thursday, March 8, 2012

My Many Colored Days

I love Dr. Seuss. There is a book that he wrote that his wife had published after he passed away called "My Many Colored Days". If you haven't read this with your child it's a must. He uses colors to associate or explain how feelings look. For example he uses yellow as very energetic like a buzzing bumble bee. Besides being fun like all of his other books, I love the way it helps a child to understand what feelings look like. It helps take something that can be confusing and undefinable for a child and puts them into a perspective they can understand and explain.

I share this with you for two reasons. One is that last week we celebrated Dr. Seuss's birthday or rather Theodor Geisel's birthday for those who know his real name. He is my absolute favorite children's author. Every year I make, yes I said make, my family watch "How the Grinch stole Christmas", "The Lorax", "The Cat in the Hat", and all of the other Dr. Seuss specials that come on tv during Christmas. Even now I can hear, "You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch. You really are a heel." I love reading the books with my children as well. There has never been a children's author who has been able to make the words sing and flow as well as Dr. Seuss did for me. His books are always a joy to read.

The other reason I share this book with you is because this week has been wrought with emotion for me. I have experienced so much that I feel like the title, "My Many Colored Days". It has been filled with the gamut of feelings, to the point that I have begun to feel overwhelmed. I wanted to share this with you because I want you to understand as I have come to, that it's okay when we have this kind of day, week, or even month. In all of my messages I seek to empower others to find the good and seek the joy. In sharing the empowering message this can be and the change it can create in our lives I do not want to make it appear as though we are to never feel sad, tired, stressed, fatigued, or even angry. I simply want to help you understand that even though you feel these sometimes less than ideal emotions, you decide how you will react. You control if they will devastate you or catapult you into the next phase of your learning and strengthen your life.

There is a season and a time for all things and that includes tears. There is a song that says, "what if your blessings come through rain drops, what if your healing comes through tears?" Just as rain washes everything and brings with it a sense of clean and refreshes things, so do tears. But where rain washes the outside, tears wash the inside and bring healing to the heart and soul. So if one of your many colored days brings with it tears, do not be in a hurry to rush past them or stop them all together. But rather embrace them knowing that like the rain they have simply come to clean and refresh you and to prepare you for the next part of your journey. Hopefully you will come to see them as the tender mercies of the Lord, who simply wishes to bring out the best in you.

God bless you that you may come to learn to dance in the rain and love your tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment