Thursday, May 14, 2015

Mother

I was at church on Sunday for Mother's Day and a speaker shared a song that his wife's family sings every Mother's Day. It's just so darn cute and funny I had to share it.


Mother

M is for the many things you've given me
O is for the other things you've given me
T is for the thousand things you've given me
H is for the hundred things you've given me
E is for everything you've given me
R is for the things I'd rather had

Many times as a mother we work so hard giving everything of ourselves and sacrificing ourselves and what we want all along the way. I'm not saying that we shouldn't do this but I think maybe it shouldn't be always, all the time with everything. How many times do we check to see if it's something they want rather than what we want for them?

As a mother we want lots of good things for our families but even though this is true I believe the gift of our love and efforts will be better received and appreciated if we make sure they want it for themselves and we give them a choice. After all, who wants to give and sacrifice so much when it is not wanted or received?

As a mother who has done all of the above and seeing the not so humorous side of "the things I'd rather had", I think I am finally maturing from an eager mother to a wise mother. There are times when as a mother, I am called to give everything and they don't want it. And what they want, they can't have because it is not good for them. There are other times when I can give what they want and times when I can let them choose for themselves, even though those choices will cause them pain and heartache.

The beauty of God's design is not that I am here to prevent there every unhappiness and provide there every happiness. His design allows for them to have those bumps and scrapes while encircled in my loving arms, where the consequences are less devastating and I can intervene with the wisdom he has given me when necessary.

There are seasons for sacrificing and times for being hands off. The trick is knowing how and when to do both. There are moments for giving them what you want and for giving them what they want. There are opportunities to help them with their choices and there are times when they must choose for themselves. The blessing is that God is always there ready to offer a hand with the child he gave you. You never have to do all by yourself, alone or blind. He is eager to help you. All you have to do is ask. The fact that he gave you your child means he has confidence in you and believes you can do it. And you can.

May God bless you in your work as a mother!


No comments:

Post a Comment