Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Do not wait for leaders

I found a quote by Mother Teresa I want to share. "Do not wait for leaders; do it alone person to person."

For so much of my life I have waited for someone else to do it before I would act or move. Even if I felt inspired or motivated. I was paralyzed by my own fears and feelings of inadequacy. I have come to realize that the only time my fears have a foundation in truth is when I allow them to make me feel inadequate and I do nothing while I complain that no one is doing anything.

I have come to realize that even a little bit of good is better than none. And even if my efforts are wrought with mistakes, I now see that action is a lot more satisfying than day dreaming. I have always been full of creative imagination and beautiful dreams but neither serves me or anyone else as long as they stay inside of me as a good idea. They can only do the good they were inspired within me to make when I take the steps to make them a reality.

There are times to follow and seasons when we are called to lead. We will play both of these roles throughout or lives. But we will never know when we are called to lead if we are always waiting for someone else to do it for us.

Being a leader isn't about being perfect and never making a mistake. Being a leader is knowing that you are not perfect, you will make mistakes and acting anyway. Being a leader is not about doing great acts but acting greatly. Being a leader isn't about needing people to be inspired by you. It is about being inspired by the needs of the people.

At times you will follow. At times you will lead. The only way to know if you are to follow or lead is by acting on what your heart tells you is the next right step for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment