Thursday, May 16, 2013

Course Correction

It has been busy, busy, busy around here. School is winding down for my children but it is very hectic for me. Every time I think I might write, something keeps me busy. I wanted to write this two weeks ago but now must be the better time for it because now is when I have been able to do it.

With all of the activity going on I feel like I haven't had an opportunity to catch my breath. It has been exciting to learn and grow. It's even more exciting watching my life change. The changes are amazing but not always easy. Some of them have been very hard to say the least. Every growth spurt has been preceded by growing pains. In some cases the growing pains were pretty intense. In spite of the pain and the hard things I have had to experience, I wouldn't change anything. I am so incredibly grateful for the experiences and the blessings that they have brought to me.

Even though I am grateful and proud of myself for moving forward it has brought up some questions. Do I still want the same dream or has it changed? Am I on the path that will best help me get to my dream? Am I really moving forward or am I spinning my wheels and keeping busy so that I am not acknowledging that I am not moving forward? Are the things that I am doing really serving me? Do any of these questions sound familiar?

At the beginning of the year when I started this I focused on a dream that I wanted. Life began to unfold and show me a way to my dream. It has been like Hansel and Gretel following bread crumbs. It has been full of excitement and wrought with challenges. Recently as I have been pondering on my journey and asking myself these questions I had an idea. When we are going on a road trip do we only look at the map once when we first start our journey or do we refer to it throughout the whole trip to make sure that we stay on course and arrive at the correct destination?

Starting a journey, any journey, can be exciting and full of challenges. A journey to obtain your dream is just as exciting and just as challenging. It requires just as much attention to where you are and where you are going. If you are chasing your dream right now, when is the last time you checked in to see if you are still on course? Does the dream need adjusting or tweaking? Do you need to take some time to refocus?

Remember that course correction doesn't mean failure. Like the stereo type about men who won't stop and ask for directions because they don't want to appear incapable. Think of yourself as the smart woman who doesn't want to get lost or needlessly drive around for hours on end. Just like that woman you simply want to make sure that you arrive at your destination safe, sound and hopefully on time.

Like my mother has told me; an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. So take the time to check in with yourself and see how things are going. Be honest with yourself because it will only cost you if you're not. It isn't about beating yourself up. It is simply about finding the way that will help you get what you want, your dream. God bless you and good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment