Saturday, February 11, 2012

Let Your Light Shine

I read this quote by Marianne Williamson today and wanted to share it. I have already heard it before as I am sure most people have, but it is one of those quotes that has much teach us and so it is good to hear it often.
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. 'We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we're liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."
I agree with this completely. There are a few ideas here worth touching on. For instance I find that there are many times when I am overly worried about what someone is going to think about what I do. So much so that I hesitate to begin or even become paralyzed into inaction, even though what I have to offer will benefit them in the end. How is it that I became so consumed with what other people thought of me? Why do I worry so much or so often on how what I do is perceived?
I really feel strongly that we must make sure that what we do is for the greater good, as far as it is possible, for all involved. However, there is a difference between being aware of doing good and being concerned with what someone will think of the work I do. I believe that if we keep our focus on pleasing God, we will automatically please those that matter. For His standards will satisfy those of anyone around you. If you please Him it doesn’t matter if you fall short in pleasing a person because it is up to them to decide how they feel about. And that is something that you just have no control over.
Also, when we dim our own lights we do a disservice to those around us. For we all are here with a great purpose, one that will strengthen and uplift those in the sphere of our influence. When we shrink, others miss out on the gifts that we bring to this world. I believe that God’s work will go on. If we choose to opt out, He will ensure that it is accomplished. However, just as there are no two snowflakes alike, none of us are alike either. And even though the work will go forward and it will be done, it will be missing the gift and essence of what makes us special.
I can’t recall the name of the song, but there is this line from it that I love. “I'm learning to be the light.” And we do, this is the whole purpose of why we are here. It is to learn to let our light shine. And as we allow our lights to shine, we help others to shine as well. I believe if we can work to make our light a little brighter and exert some patience and forgiveness with those who are working to do the same, we can bring about the positive changes in our lives and in the world that we desire.
I have come to an understanding about how to stop being concerned with the voices in the world. It is this; that I am not here to please everyone, I am only here to please The One and in doing so, I will please all that I am able to. Know that you are beautiful and your light is brilliant as it was meant to be. So go and find the what and the how to let your light shine and bring a little more warmth into the lives of those around you. It will start a chain reaction to the blessing and uplifting of many lives, more than you may ever be able to comprehend.
May God bless you as you learn to let your light shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment