Tuesday, December 17, 2013

I am dreaming

I love the song and the movie "White Christmas". It is one of my favorites. My favorite version is by Bing Crosby.

I was thinking of this song and singing it when I had a beautiful thought, "What do I dream of having?" Just as the song says, "I'm dreaming of a white Christmas." What am I dreaming of having for Christmas? I then began to wonder what other people are dreaming of for Christmas.

Then the brilliant idea came of seeing if there was a dream I could help come true for someone. Wouldn't it be wonderful to have a positive focus of giving for the holidays rather than the pressure we tend to put ourselves under in order to "make someone happy". The person wouldn't have to know it was me. After all the idea isn't about getting credit, it's simply about doing something out of the spirit of Christmas. The idea of giving unconditionally for the joy it gives to the receiver and not for what one may receive in return.

My church has a giving tree where you can pick cards with requests for items. I choose an item and then wrapped it and returned it to the person in charge. I know that I didn't necessarily help someone's lifelong dream come true but I do feel I gave some peace to the person in need who requested it. I had a great time doing it as well.

What I want for Christmas is for as many of you are willing and able to see if there is something you can give that will in some way uplift, support, strengthen, or heal a heart in need this Christmas season. I know there are only ten days until Christmas but there is no time constraint on when the gift can be given. And remember it's not about money. A great gift or creating a dream doesn't have to cost anything but your love and effort. And if money is what they stand in need of then by all means give. But whether it's money or time, by all means give what you can as much as you can and if your intent is merely to give you will not be disappointed.

A great short read that talks about this very principle is "Penny's Christmas Jar Miracle" by Jason F. Wright.

Enjoy the holidays as they soon approach. May you partake of them in joy rather than wishing them away.

No comments:

Post a Comment