Wednesday, October 23, 2013

God works in mysterious ways

I wrote a letter to a magazine that I wanted to share with you. It's about God's hand in our lives and the interesting ways He will do things to help us and make us aware of how He is helping us.
 
 
God works in mysterious ways and sometimes the mystery is how did we get this magazine?

A Guideposts magazine came in the mail last December in my husband Kevin’s name. It had beautiful artwork with angels on the cover. I was perplexed by this as I know that this magazine is not his cup of tea. He’s more of the hunting and fishing or gadgets and gizmos type of magazine reader. I figured that this must be some sort of promotional magazine in order to get you interested in the magazine and buy a subscription. I was tempted to toss it in the trash but I loved the pictures of angels on the front and decided I’d read it before throwing it away.
I began to read the articles and loved the concept of a magazine that was based on uplifting and inspiring stories. At this time in my life I was dealing with a bought of depression. I had just had our 5th baby in November. This was a very painful pregnancy and the pain continued after the delivery. I hadn’t realized that I was not living but merely functioning day in and day out.
There have been many times in my life when I have had depression. Sometimes I didn’t know I had it until after I had recovered from it. During my pregnancy I had another bought of depression. This time it was very intense to the point that I was contemplating suicide. Thankfully Heavenly Father sent me angels to bear me up and help me through it.
I’d like to say that it was a complete and immediate recovery, however, it wasn’t. It was enough to help me over the hump but I still had the valley to cross. It was at this point that Guideposts showed up. As I read the articles it felt as though God was speaking to me and answering my prayers. I began to have insights and “aha’s” about myself and what was happening in my life. All of this was helping me when I was at a low and giving me hope to keep moving forward.
Eventually I realized what God was asking of me and what I needed to do. In February I understood what was causing some of my depression. It was the fact that I was living my life half way. As in, part of me wanted to be here and part of me wanted to go back home to my Heavenly Father. Life was painful and it felt too hard. What I realized was that I had to choose to be here. I had to want to be here no matter what happens.
Sometimes life is scary and it can be hard. But we have to choose to live our lives with all of the love, passion, and commitment that is inside of us. We have to choose to be here and live the life that God knows we are capable of. Anything less than this will cause us unnecessary pain and suffering.

I want to thank you Guideposts for your courage in providing something that sustains rather than drains an individual. And the mystery of how we came to have your magazine was solved several weeks after its arrival. We received a postcard in the mail saying, “Enjoy your free guideposts subscription. It is being sent to American service men like you.” The funny thing is my husband has never served in the military. His father has along with other relatives but he hasn’t.

So, a magazine that my husband would never read was sent to him because of military service that he never performed so that his wife who loves angels would read the uplifting stories and receive inspiration to help her through her difficult moments until she was strong enough to live life again. This is what you call God at work.
 
How is God helping you? If you doubt He helps you, maybe it's time to look a little closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment